Location: 642 Forest Road, Walthamstow
Contract: Fixed term (March 2020), Full time (40 hours Mon-Sat inc evenings, weekends, public holidays)
Salary: £17,076.80 per annum (£8.21 per hour)
Food Service Assistant
YMCA St Paul’s Group (SPG) emerged from the coming together of four separate Associations over an 18-month period. The group is largest YMCA in Europe and one of the largest providers of supported housing in London and beyond providing a safe place to stay for over 1,200 residents each night. As well as accommodation, education and training, the Association is focused on the transformation of communities through its 6+ Health and Wellbeing Centres, including an outdoor swimming pool and a wide range of Children, Youth and Family programmes including nurseries, after school clubs and soft play centres. Through the merger and accompanying new investment we expect the range, reach and impact of our services to grow so that we can better realise our vision.
The vision of the Association is of ‘Places where young people thrive and communities flourish’. Its mission is to be ‘an inclusive Christian Association transforming communities so that all young people can belong, contribute and thrive’.
This role is based at our YMCA in Walthamstow, reporting to the Food Service Supervisor. The post holder will be expected to assist in all aspects of the running of the café at YMCA East London part of YMCA LSW, provide good customer service, prepare and serve food and drinks, maximise income and customer satisfaction within the café and keeping all kitchen areas clean and tidy.
Some duties include:
- Prepare drinks, rolls, sandwiches, panini etc as requested by customers.
- Set up the café at the beginning of shift, ensuring all cutlery and condiments are in place and the service area clean and tidy.
- Liaise with the Kitchen and Children and Family Work staff to inform them of any orders made by customers or inform them if any products are running low.
- Check the float daily before use; cash up at the end of shift, reconcile income with the cash registers and ensure security of income; follow YMCA Cash Handling Policy.
- Maintain accurate receipting and accounting of all monies and credit transactions taken whilst on duty.
- Have knowledge of special diets and food allergies
- Have an understanding of health and safety issues
- Have an understanding of food hygiene issues
- Have experience working in an environment providing a service to the public with sales or customer care experience
- Have experience of working as part of a team
Completed Application Packs should be directed to our external recruitment/response handler’s HR Initiatives Limited c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: We will be reviewing completed applications on a daily basis until we recruit to all posts, therefore please return your application without delay.
YMCA St Paul’s Group is an equal opportunities employer. We value the importance of diversity and positively welcome applications from all members of the community, including those with disabilities. As a responsible employer, we follow safer recruitment guidelines and if you are selected for an interview you will be required to complete an application form, which will be sent out to you. The successful candidate will be expected to declare all previous offences and to undergo a Standard Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
YMCA St Paul’s Group is a Christian organisation and as an employee you will be required to respect its ethos and uphold its values.