Over the past few months members of our Inclusive Lives Project team has been working with Filmanthropy UK to produce a user-led fitness instruction video. Funded by the Big Lottery. It’s aimed at everybody in the community, to encourage people to get active, dance and have fun! Even our care givers got involved in the video, showing us how to use Makaton. Using different forms of communication is vital if we are going to get everybody dancing!
EveryBody Can Dance!
So now the video is online for the world to see and we want to see your moves! We developed this video as a fun, exciting and totally inclusive way for you to get active and show us your moves. Take a look – you could follow all the directions to learn the dance or maybe even make up your own dance. Either way, we want to see it! Send us your pictures or videos to become part of a project that inspires EVERYBODY to get active. Our goal is to engage more than 20 different organisations/families/group… How will you choose to show us what you’re made of? Whatever your platform, be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube, tag us @YMCAStPaulsGroup and use #EveryBodyCanDance and share it with us. Alternatively, you can simply email us at email@example.com
Here are a few facts that explain why a dance fitness video is essential for everyone in the community, regardless of their disability:
- 7 out of 10 disabled people want to be more active (Sport England 2017)
- 41% of sports coaches in London do not feel comfortable coaching disabled participants, but would like to be (London Sport 2017)
- A disabled person is twice as likely to be inactive than a non-disabled person (Activity Alliance 2018)
- Roughly 700,000 people in the UK are on the Autism Spectrum (National Autistic Society 2018)
- There are approximately 9 million people in the UK who are deaf or ‘hard of hearing’ (British Deaf Association 2015)
- 2 million people in the UK have problems with their sight, that’s roughly 1 in 30 (RNIB 2017)
- There are 1.4million deaf and disabled people living in London (Inclusion London 2015)
- There are roughly 1.2 million wheelchair users in the UK (NHS England 2018)
- There are roughly 13 million disabled people living in England (Equality & Human Rights Commission 2017)
- 73.7% of disabled people have more than one impairment (Sport England 2016)
- There are approximately 6.5million (1 in 8) carers in the UK (Carers UK 2015)
Our thanks go to the following people who gave up their time to make this video such a big hit: Georgia Fitzsimmons, David Stanley, Ben Newman, Kelly Francis, Kayleigh Amoah, Isobel Tyrell, George Flynn, Aimosson Scott, Adrienne Armorer and Veera Singh.